MVP LAW GROUP – Q&A Forum, October 1st, 2010

MVP Law Group, P.A. makes available the information and materials in this forum for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or any contractual obligations. Further, the use of this site, and the sending or receipt of this information, does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. And, therefore, your communication with us through this forum will not be considered as privileged or confidential.

Question #1 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
What is the grace period on H-1B extension? I reside in California, my current H-1B visa expires on 9/25/2010 and I’ve filed for an extension on 9/7/2010. Got certified mail receipt for it. I was told by my lawyer that I have 240 days grace period when an extension application is pending. I need to have some sort of documentation proof on this fact for my employer. Is there anyway I can obtain it?

Answer #1
Under regulation 8 C.F.R. §274a.12(b)(20), a person lawfully employed under A-3, E-1,E-2,E-3,G-5,H-1B, H-2A/B, H-3, I, J-1, L-1, O-1/O-2, P-1/P-2/P-3, R or TN status who timely files an application for extension consistent with 8 C.F.R. §214.1, is automatically given 240 days from date of expiration. This extension does not apply to persons seeking a change of status. During 240 days, there is no INA 245(c) bar to adjustment of status.

Question #2 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
I got my I-140 petition approved. Next step is to apply for AOS. What kind of document I need to have for AOS application?

Answer #2
In order to apply for AOS, your priority date needs to be current, once your priority date is current, you will able to file the Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident along with the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. There are numerous background documents that will need to be submitted along with your petition, specifically, a sealed medical examination from a civil surgeon in your area, birth certificates, copies of federal tax returns, bank statements, and an employment verification letter, among other documents.

Question #3 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
My name is mistakenly typed in the form I-129 submitted to USCIS. In that form only, in all other forms (including I-129 supplements) it has typed correctly. Name mistyped on I-129, so reflecting wrong name on I-797, what I need to do now?

Answer #3
If you believe that the mistake on your I-129 receipt notice (Form I-797) would cause severe issues down the road, you will need to contact the USCIS National Customer Service number (1-800-375-5283) and speak with an Agent to request that the mistake be corrected, so that your I-129 Approval notice (Form I-797) will provide the correct spelling of your name.

Question #4 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
I have some questions to ask about immigration. I am currently on Stem Opt extension and I am a full time employee, my stem opt started on Jan. 15th 2010. I have worked for one client in May 2010 through a vendor and the vendor said they cannot run my payroll directly. I contacted one consultancy but I did not know they are not e-verified. The consultancy got the money from the vendor and they are not enrolling into e-verify now. I am not sure what will be the situation if the non-e-verified company runs my payroll. My current company will apply for my H1 this year. Please advise.

Answer #4
Your current company/present employer should be the one responsible for running your payroll, not the vendor nor the end client. From the information you have provided, it does not seem like you are a direct employee of the vendor or the end client, therefore the only entity responsible for running your payroll is your current company.

Question #5 – Diversity Lottery (DV)
Can I apply for DV now?

Answer #5
Applications for the DV 2012 random lottery will be accepted beginning Tuesday, October 5, 2010 through Wednesday, November 3, 2010. Paper entries will not be accepted, eligible participants may access the electronic Diversity Visa entry form (E-DV) to apply during this period. For more information relating to the DV 2010 random lottery, please refer to

Question #6 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
Regarding a change of job, is there a recommended wait time after the green card that I can change my employer. On the EAD there was a 6mth after which I could do this, but was wondering after the GC if there is any such thing. Appreciate your response.

Answer #6
Although the regulations are silent on this issue, we recommend that you wait at least six (6) months before changing your employer to avoid issues if you intend on applying for citizenship when you become eligible.

Question #7 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
Is the H-1B quota still open? Do I still have time to file for an H-1B even though October 1, 2010 is right around the corner?

Answer #7
As of September 24, 2010, there were approximately 25,400 H-1B Regular CAP subject nonimmigrant visas remaining and approximately 5,600 H-1B Masters Exemption nonimmigrant visas remaining. USCIS will continue to accept both cap-subject petitions and advanced degree petitions until a sufficient number of H-1B petitions have been received to reach the statutory limits, taking into account the fact that some of these petitions may be denied, revoked, or withdrawn. For continuous FY2011 H-1B Cap updates, please refer to

Question #8 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
Is an approved I-765 any indication that the I-485 is getting close to approval and would eventually BE approved without a hitch or are they autonomous processes?

Answer #8
They are separate creatures. Therefore, to put it simply, an approved I-765 is not an indication that the I-485 is getting closer to being approved.

Question #9 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
I need to file my H-1b as soon as possible, but I am scheduled to leave the country early next week. If I file and leave, will there be any complications? Please advise.

Answer #9
Pursuant to regulation 8 C.F.R. 214.2(h)(15)(i), a person must be in the U.S. when an extension is filed, but may travel abroad while an extension is pending. If the beneficiary is required to travel while the extension is pending, the approval can be sent via cable (or through the PIMS system) to the appropriate consular post upon the Petitioner’s request. We recommend that if you have a pending extension with the USCIS, you do not travel outside of the U.S. unless it is an emergency.

Question #10 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
My AP expires today and since i just came back from INDIA, i dont see any travel need for quite some time now hence i am not applying for extension of AP. Is that OK? Or do we need to always apply it before the current one expires. I think we can always apply only on needs basis and do it at a later stage. Will that be fine?

Answer #10
You do not need to apply for the AP prior to the expiration of the current AP. You can always apply at a later date.

MVP Law Group would like to thank everyone who contributed a question or comment. We hope the information provided is helpful.

Our next “Immigration Q & A Forum” is scheduled for Friday, October 15, 2010! Please remember to submit your questions/comments on our h1bvisalawyerblog.

Contact Information