MVP “Immigration Q & A Forum” – 5/24/24

Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
MVP Law Group, P.A. makes available the information and materials in this forum for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or any contractual obligations. Further, the use of this site, and the sending or receipt of this information, does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Therefore, your communication with us through this forum will not be considered as privileged or confidential.


1. I am a foreign Dentist having graduated with a Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree, having 9 years of experience serving patients, what are my chances of practicing in the United States? If you are a foreign educated dentist and wish to practice in the United States, you will need to be accepted and enroll in a dental education program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). You can obtain a Doctor of Dental Surgery or a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree by attending an advanced standing program in the U.S. You will also need to pass the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE), a standardized written exam. Once you earn your D.D.S or D.M.D, you will then be able to seek work in the U.S. through Optional Practical Training (OPT) for 12 months. If you desire to work in the United States beyond those 12 months, you will need to research other nonimmigrant visa options such as the H-1B nonimmigrant visa worker program.

2. What are the requirements to practice in the United States? Most states require the attainment of a Doctor of Dental Surgery or a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree, passing the INBDE, and a State License in order to practice in the field of Dentistry.

3. Are there exams that will be needed to practice in the United States? Yes, the Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE), a standardized written exam.

4. What States provides international trained Dentist license to practice? Minnesota is the only state in the United States that currently offers a Limited General License.

5. What are the steps of getting a working Visa if one is being employed?  Find a U.S. employer willing to sponsor you for employment. U.S. employers will work with an Attorney or in-house to prepare the necessary paperwork and file it with the designated government agency. 

6. How long does it take to get everything done before practicing as a Dentist? School will take 2-3 years if enrolled in a CODA Advanced Standing Program or 4 years for a regular DDS or DMD, along with studying for the examination (depends upon the candidate), and obtaining the license (depends upon the state).

7. What are the laws, guidelines, and regulations for an international trained Dentist? Generally, graduation with a D.D.S. or D.M.D from a U.S. university, passing the INBDE, and obtaining a state license to practice. All other laws, guidelines and regulations are state specific and depend upon the state in which you desire to practice.

8. What is the total cost or expenses an international Dentist has to make before practicing in the United States. We cannot provide a figure, as it depends upon the program they enroll in, the prep course they take to prepare for the INBDE, and the state requirements for obtaining a state license.

9. What would be your advice or worked out guidelines to help an international trained Dentist achieve his or her dream to practice in the United States. Do your research and find the best school to achieve your dreams in an advanced standing program.


10. How does one get H-1B Visa Assistance from a Highly Skilled Attorney. A potential candidate for an H-1B may contact our office to schedule a paid telephone or ZOOM consultation to discuss the process or a U.S. employer may contact our law firm to initiate the process on behalf of a prospective H-1B candidate.


MVP Law Group would like to thank everyone who contributed a question or comment.

Our next “Immigration Q & A Forum” is scheduled for Friday, June 7, 2024!

Please remember to submit your questions/comments on our H1B Visa Lawyer blog!


MVP Law Group social media:





Contact Information