Archive – Holiday Post – Immigration Q&A Forum – Originally posted 11/13/23

Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
This blog entry was originally posted on 11/13/23. We here at the MVP Law Group would like to wish every one of our blog readers Happy Holidays! 

MVP Law Group, P.A. makes available the information and materials in this forum for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or any contractual obligations. Further, the use of this site, and the sending or receipt of this information, does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Therefore, your communication with us through this forum will not be considered as privileged or confidential. 


  1. What vaccinations are required in the United States? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) determine what vaccinations are required for U.S. immigration. Presently, the following vaccines are required: Mumps; Measles; Rubella; Polio; Tetanus and diphtheria; Pertussis; Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib); Hepatitis A; Hepatitis B; Rotavirus; Meningococcal disease; Varicella; Pneumococcal disease; Seasonal influenza; and COVID-19.
  1. What is public charge? Am I exempt from it? Public charge is a ground of inadmissibility that could bar an individual’s admission to the U.S. if the government determines the individual is likely to rely on certain public benefits in the future. The government makes the determination and they make the determination based on the following: The noncitizen’s age; health; family status; assets, resources, and financial status; and education and skills; the filing of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA, submitted on a noncitizen’s behalf when one is required; and the noncitizen’s prior or current receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI); cash assistance for income maintenance under Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); State, Tribal, territorial, or local cash benefit programs for income maintenance (often called “General Assistance”); or long-term institutionalization at government expense.

You are likely not exempt from the public charge ground of inadmissibility when applying for visas, admission, or adjustment of status unless you fall into one of following groups of noncitizens: Asylees and refugees; Amerasian immigrants at admission; Afghan and Iraqi interpreters or Afghan or Iraqi nationals employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government; Cuban and Haitian entrants at adjustment of status; Applicants seeking adjustment under the Cuban Adjustment Act; Nicaraguans and other Central Americans who are adjusting status to legal permanent resident; Haitians who are adjusting status to legal permanent resident; Lautenberg parolees; Special immigrant juveniles; Applicants for registry; Applicants seeking Temporary Protected Status; Certain nonimmigrant ambassadors, ministers, diplomats, and other foreign government officials, and their families; Human trafficking victims (T nonimmigrants); Victims of qualifying criminal activity (U nonimmigrants); Self-petitioners under the Violence Against Women Act; Certain battered noncitizens who are “qualified aliens” under the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (also known as the Welfare Reform Act); Applicants adjusting status who qualify for a benefit as surviving spouses, children, or parents of military members; Noncitizen American Indians born in Canada; Noncitizen members of the Texas Band of Kickapoo Indians of the Kickapoo Tribe of Oklahoma; Nationals of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos applying under the Indochinese Act; Polish and Hungarian Parolees; Certain Syrian nationals; Applicants adjusting under the Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness law; and any other categories of noncitizens exempt under any other law from the public charge ground of inadmissibility provisions under INA 212(a)(4).

  1. What is the USCIS filing fee for an Asylum application? There is no USCIS   filing fee required for an Asylum application, Form I-589.
  1. Do I have to list all of my social media accounts on my DS-260 formYes. If you use social media (actively or not), the Department of State requests your social media handle/ID for each of the social media platforms listed: ASK.FM; DOUBAN; FACEBOOK; FLICKR; GOOGLE+; INSTAGRAM; LINKEDIN; MYSPACE; PINTEREST; QZONE (QQ); REDDIT; SINA WEIBO; TUMBLR; TWITTER (X); TWOO; VINE; VKONTAKTE (VK); YOUKU; and YOUTUBE.
  1. Where do I update my address online? You may submit your change of address to the USCIS through a USCIS online account. If you do not have a USCIS online account, you may create one here or you may prepare, print and file a paper based AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card with the USCIS.
  1. Where do I find the Forms for USCIS? You can find the USCIS forms by visiting the USCIS website at
  1.  Must I renew my Green Card before filing for Naturalization? Although your LPR status does not expire you should always have proof of your Lawful Permanent Resident status. Upon the filing of a N400, Application for Naturalization, the receipt notice you receive when presented with your Green Card automatically extends your Green Card for a validity period of 24 months from the expiration date.
  1. Where can I find the fees associated with the form I am filing?

See the link below to the USCIS Fee Schedule. This document shows all fees associated with all forms filed with the USCIS.

  1. I need to find a doctor who is a designated civil surgeon. Is there a list or something? Yes, there is a list of designated civil surgeons on the USCIS website. Click on the link and enter your zip code and a list will appear of designated civil surgeons in your area. Pick a civil surgeon from the list, call their office, and schedule an appointment.
  1. Can I premium process a pending I-539 filed by itself? It depends on the type of I-539 you are filing and the nonimmigrant visa you are seeking. Premium processing is not available to extend status and it is only available to those who file a change of status to F-1, F-2, M-1, M-2, J-1 or J-2. Those individuals may request premium processing by filing Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service along with their Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and the necessary USCIS filing fees for each form ($370.00 for Form I-539; $1750.00 for Form I-907).


 MVP LAW GROUP –Immigration Q&A Forum – Originally posted 11/13/23


MVP Law Group social media:





Contact Information