State Department: Passport Policy on Gender Change

To celebrate Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Pride in the month of June, the US Department of State announced its policy regarding gender change on passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad. Beginning on June 10, 2010 an applicant may change the gender on their passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad if certification is presented from a medical physician stating the applicant has undergone treatment for gender transition. A limited-validity passport can also be obtained with a physician’s statement that the applicant is currently going through the process of gender transition. Note: sexual reassignment surgery is no longer the qualification for gender change on a passport.

Contact Information