MVP LAW GROUP – Q&A Forum, July 23, 2010

Question #1 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
Can your firm sponsor my H-1B or find a company to sponsor me? I am ready to come to the U.S. and work, I have a BS in Computer Science and three years experience in computer programming. What is the process?

Answer #1
We are a law firm that will help you prepare the paperwork (Forms and documents) for your H-1B non-immigrant petition once you find an employer willing to sponsor you for employment; however, we cannot find you H-1B sponsorship. In summary, once you have secured an H-1B sponsor (U.S. employer), we can then help you out.

The normal process for H-1B sponsorship starts when you or your employer contacts our office to initiate the process. You or your employer would contact our office, sign a legal agreement detailing the legal fees associated with the preparation and filing of the H-1B visa petition, you would then complete the H-1B questionnaire, and send all requested background documents to our office to begin the process. Once the legal payment, the completed questionnaire and background docs have been received in our office, we would be able to begin preparing your case. Once your forms have been prepared and thoroughly reviewed, we email the final documents to your sponsoring employer for their review and signatures. These forms must then be returned to our office with the requisite USCIS filing fees, and will be filed on your behalf with the USCIS. Upon receipt of the H-1B petition, the USCIS will issue a receipt notice containing a specific number which will allow you to monitor your case while it is being processed.

Question #2 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
I have exhausted my 6 years on H-1B visa and returned to my country. I have been here ninety (90) days; can I now apply for a new H-1B visa under the current cap to return to U.S.? Please let me know so we can move forward.

Answer #2
According to the regulations, once you have exhausted the 6 year limit on H-1B, you must return to your home country for one (1) year before you can petition again for an H-1B nonimmigrant visa.

Question #3 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card – EAD/AP Renewal
I Have Applied my EAD (765) and AP (131) for renewal through paper. USCIS have returned the EAD and AP Documents stating that I have provided incorrect amount on the check or has not been provided. I have provided an amount of $340 for EAD and separate check of $385 for AP. The check was paid to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” on June 2nd. My EAD expires in the Middle of August 2010. Also my I-485 is current now as per the processing time. I have applied 3 times before for EAD and AP personally and never had this problem. Granted the last renewal I have applied through e-file. I have applied through paper this time to Dallas lockbox. What could have been the mistake I have made in my submission?

Answer #3
It sounds like they rejected both cases due to the mix up with the payment for the AP filing. To be on the safe side, I suggest that you send three checks, one in the amount of $340.00 for the EAD renewal, the second in the amount of $305.00 for the AP renewal, and the third in the amount of $80.00 for biometrics. If they need to process your biometrics, they will, if they don’t, they will return the check. There is no way of returning the biometrics fee on a check for $385.00 if biometrics are not needed. You will need to enclose the rejection notice on the top of all of your forms and supporting documentation. Paper clipped to the notice, you will need to place the new checks and your pictures.

Question #4 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card – EAD Renewal
I just filed my EAD renewal last week. Can I expedite the EAD renewal process since my EAD expires in Mid August?

Answer #4
You cannot expedite an EAD renewal request. You can only expedite an AP renewal request and only under specific circumstances. You can file an EAD renewal request up to 120 days in advance of the expiration of your current EAD. You should be aware of the Service Center processing times well in advance of filing so that you can obtain an approval of the EAD, so that you can continue working. If you do not receive your EAD renewal request by mid August when your current EAD expires, you must wait and not work until your EAD is approved.

Question #5 – Employment Based Immigration – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
USCIS received my H1B/H4 petitions on 07/14/2010, we filed for premium processing. What is timeframe for normal processing? My driving license expires on 9/19/2010. If they process under normal process do they return $1000 which is extra we paid to process under premium processing?

Answer #5
According to the information you provided, your case is still within the normal processing times for a case filed under Premium Processing. The normal processing time for a case filed under Premium Processing is 15 calendar days from the date of submission. Today is July 23, the case was accepted for processing on July 14, and only ten (10) days have passed since the acceptance of your case. If you do not receive an update within the remaining 5 days, your employer/attorney will need to contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center or the appropriate Service Center to ensure that the case is processed according to the timeframes provided for premium processing.

Question #6 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card – General
We recently bought a new house expected to move on July 25th, 2010. How to notify and update to USICS for I-485 and EAD that is under processing?

Answer #6
The link provided at the bottom of this response will direct you to the online portal for submission of your address change request (however, you will still need to submit Form AR-11 to USCIS within 10 days after your move). According to the USCIS website:

Non-U.S. Citizens
If you have moved, you need to follow two different steps:
• Step 1: File a Form AR-11 (This changes your address in our master database.);
• Step 2: If you have a pending case, you must also file a Change of Address online or call our National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283. (This changes your address for the specific application you have submitted.)
**Please note that if you are a non-U.S. citizen and you have a pending case, you must complete both steps to make sure that you comply with the regulations and so we can reach you at your correct address.

The Process
If you want to change your address online and/or file a Form AR-11 using our Online Change of Address Notification tool, you will need to have certain information available. Please have the following information available before you begin:
• Your receipt notice or other notice we sent you showing your receipt number (if you have a pending case with USCIS);
• Your new address;
• Your old address;
• If you have filed a petition for a family member, the names and biographical information for that person.
If you are a non-U.S. citizen, please also have:
• The date when you last entered the United States (If you cannot remember, please fill in an approximate date.);
• The location where you last entered the United States (the port of entry where you entered – whether by land, sea, or air).

Change of Address Request

Question #7 – Employment Based Immigration – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
I have a BA and I am a former judge, how can I qualify for an H1visa?

Answer #7
Simply stated, in order to be eligible for an H-1B nonimmigrant visa, the applicant (you) must possess at least a U.S. Bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent and the job position must require at least a Bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent and you must possess experience in the particular field. You must have a sponsoring employer to sponsor your H-1B visa petition; you cannot file for an H1 visa on your own.

Question #8 – Employment Based Immigration – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
Does State of California or federal government give any preference to applicants with Infrastructure background especially for construction projects that have been approved by California voters?

Answer #8
No, the State of California and the Federal government do not give any special preference to applicants with Infrastructure background. Cases are determined and decided on a case-by-case basis, no special preference is suppose to be given to any type of individual or any individual in a specific type of work.

Question #9 – Employment Based Immigration – Temporary Work Visa – H-2B Nonimmigrant Visa
I’ve heard of this H-2B temporary visa. What is it?

Answer #9
The H2B working visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the U.S. temporarily and engage in nonagricultural employment which is seasonal, intermittent, a peak load need, or a one-time occurrence. To qualify for an H-2B visa, you must have a valid job offer from a U.S. employer to perform temporary or seasonal nonagricultural work and proof of an intent to return to your home country on expiration of the visa.

The limitations of the H-2B visa are that the job must be temporary in nature and the need must be for one year or less, the employer’s need may not be ongoing or continuous. The employer has the burden of establishing the facts necessary to support a finding that the need is a one-time occurrence, seasonal, peak load or intermittent need. H-2b time counts whether you are in the U.S. or abroad, and H-2b dependents may not work in the U.S.

Question #10 – Student Visa – F1
I want my younger sister to come to USA to go to school. What do we need to do?

Answer #10
Please visit the following website as it will provide the steps for how your sister can get her F1 visa to come to the U.S. for school.

The first step for a prospective nonimmigrant student is being accepted for enrollment in an established school which is SEVP certified. There is a list of SEVP certified schools on the website listed above. Therefore, as her first step, your sister must first apply for enrollment at a college of her choice which is listed on the SEVP certified list. Once she has been accepted by that SEVP certified school, she will then need to apply for her F1 student visa. All of the steps for obtaining such status are available on the website listed above, and additional information can be found on this website .

MVP Law Group would like to thank everyone who contributed a question or comment. We hope the information provided is helpful.

Our next “Immigration Q & A Forum” is scheduled for Friday, August 6, 2010! Please remember to submit your questions/comments on our h1bvisalawyerblog.

MVP Law Group, P.A. makes available the information and materials in this forum for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or any contractual obligations. Further, the use of this site, and the sending or receipt of this information, does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. And, therefore, your communication with us through this forum will not be considered as privileged or confidential.

Contact Information