MVP LAW GROUP – Immigration Q&A Forum, Friday, September 16th, 2011

MVP Law Group, P.A. makes available the information and materials in this forum for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or any contractual obligations. Further, the use of this site, and the sending or receipt of this information, does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. And, therefore, your communication with us through this forum will not be considered as privileged or confidential.

Question #1 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
How many H-1B nonimmigrant visas remain for the H1B CAP?

Answer #1
As of September 9, 2011, there were approximately 32,800 H-1B Regular CAP subject nonimmigrant visas remaining and 3,300 H-1B Masters Exemption nonimmigrant visas remaining. USCIS will continue to accept both cap-subject petitions and advanced degree petitions until a sufficient number of H-1B petitions have been received to reach the statutory limits, taking into account the fact that some of these petitions may be denied, revoked, or withdrawn. For continuous FY2012 H-1B Cap updates, please refer to our

Question #2 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
Does green card processing duration depends on the country of birth or country of nationality? (I am asking this because I am a Pakistani National but born in United Arab Emirates so wanted to know if my processing will take less time or not)

Answer #2
It is based on country of birth. Since you are not from China, India, Mexico or the Philippines, your case would fall under ‘All Chargeability Areas’ and the time period whether from Pakistan or the United Arab Emirates would be the same.

Question #3 – Marriage Based Immigration –Green Card
I am marrying a United States citizen in a few weeks, do you know when I can expect to have my interview and eventually get my green card?

Answer #3
Once you have married and have submitted your paperwork to the USCIS, it is taking approximately 4-6 months nationwide to obtain an interview appointment. This is an estimate as all cases are not the same and the circumstances in one case may be different than in another. If there are any prior marriages, criminal charges, or other circumstances that could affect the case, processing may take even longer.

Question #4 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
We are a new company utilizing the H-1B temporary work nonimmigrant visa program. Quick question: it’s okay to give copies of the entire petition to the H-1B employee once approved?

Answer #4
You MUST provide each applicant with a complete copy of the entire petition (including the LCA), it is a REQUIREMENT, and you must retain a complete copy of the petition within the applicant’s immigration file (public access file).

Question #5 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
I have transferred my H1 from Employer A to Employer B and it got denied. Employer B has appealed the denial. Now my question is: Can I go out of US and come back when appeal is in process. If so what will be option?

Answer #5
Depending upon your I-94 card, if it has expired, you need to depart the country, as receiving a denial leaves you without a valid nonimmigrant visa status, in violation of U.S. immigration laws and can negatively affect your re-entry to the U.S. in the future. You will either need to wait in your home country or elsewhere until a decision is made, or until you find another sponsoring employer willing to sponsor your H-1B nonimmigrant visa for temporary employment in the United States.

Question #6 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
Same set of facts as above. What will be approximate processing time for appeal to be decided?

Answer #6
The current processing time for an H-1B appeal is 21 months.

Question #7 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
I’ve been working at my current company for nearly 5 years and have a bachelor’s degree in EE. Can I change jobs within the company after the five year mark and be able to use the experience for my current job towards my labor certification and moving to an EB-2 category?

Answer #7
No, you cannot use the experience obtained in your current job to apply for another position within the same company. The experience needed for EB-2 classification cannot be from your current employer.

Question #8 – Employment Based Immigration – Green Card
Is it possible to apply for Green Card for me and my wife in parallel to H1 and H4?

Answer #8
Yes, it is possible to initiate a GC case parallel to the H-1B/H4 proceedings if there is a legitimate permanent position available within the company and the employer is willing to sponsor you for the permanent position.

Question #9 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
My OPT Extension Period ends on May 15, 2012 also my student visa expires on the same day. Do I have to apply for H1 this year or can I apply next year?

Answer #9
If your employer wishes to continue your employment, they should file an H-1B petition on your behalf under the FY2012 Cap which opened on April 1, 2011 and is still available. Employment does not begin until October 1, 2011; if however, the CAP is reached within the next few days, you will not be able to petition again until next year and will begin to accrue unlawful status unless you transfer to another nonimmigrant visa status or return to your home country once your OPT expires.

Question #10 – Temporary Work Visa – H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa
After graduation I worked for a company ‘A’ as a database administrator using my optional practical training /OPT/ for less than a year. Initially I was on a student visa until my employer sponsored me for a H1B visa, which was successfully selected to an H1B visa status and to begin in October 2011. Unfortunately for personal reasons I left USA and returned to my country on the 28th of August. On August 31, 2011 the H1B visa was terminated by my former employer. At this time I have another employment opportunity stateside and wish to reclaim my visa status. I’m writing you to get information as to what I can do to return my status for the H1B visa. Can you please provide me with any information on the process required to do this? Does my future employer need to sponsor me as before? Currently I’m in my home country, is it possible to do this from here? How long does the procedure take? I hope you can help me with my situation.

Answer #10
The normal process for H-1B sponsorship starts when you or your employer contacts our office to initiate the process. Your employer would contact our office, discuss the regulations and expectations of H-1B sponsorship, and sign a legal agreement detailing the legal fees associated with the preparation and filing of the H-1B visa petition. An H-1B questionnaire and documents checklist will be emailed to you for your review and completion. You would then complete the H-1B questionnaire, and send all requested background documents to our office to begin the process. Once the legal payment, the completed questionnaire and background docs have been received in our office, we would be able to begin preparing your paperwork. Once your forms have been prepared and thoroughly reviewed, we email the final documents to your sponsoring employer for their review, signatures and posting requirements. These forms must then be returned to our office with the requisite USCIS filing fees, and will be filed on your behalf with the USCIS. Upon receipt of the H-1B petition, the USCIS will issue a receipt notice containing a specific number which will allow you to monitor your case while it is being processed. It is possible for our office to prepare and file your paperwork while you are in your home country. If the case is filed under regular processing, a decision will be made in approximately 3-4 months. If the case is filed under premium processing, a decision should be made within 15 calendar days after submission of the case unless an RFE is issued.

MVP Law Group would like to thank everyone who contributed a question or comment.

Our next “Immigration Q & A Forum” is scheduled for Friday, September 30th, 2011!

Please remember to submit your questions/comments on our H1B Visa Lawyer Blog!

Contact Information