Changing Your Address with USCIS/DOS/EOIR/BIA

Changing an address with the various Federal immigration agencies can be confusing, and failure to properly make an address change can lead to denials and other adverse immigration consequences. The Ombudsman’s Office encourages immigration benefits applicants and petitioners to promptly notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and/or the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) of any change in address.

USCIS, DOS, EOIR and DOL have separate procedures, filing locations, and timeframes for submitting an address change. A change of address should be reported for each application type, petition, case, and family member with each government agency from which an immigration benefit is being sought. Applicants should use the most permanent address available. To view the chart provided by the Department of Homeland Security, please click here.

USCIS – Change of Address Requirements: Differences between U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens
U.S. Citizens
Not required by law, but it’s important that you report a change of address for pending cases.

Online: USCIS Online Change of Address
OR By phone: 1-800-375-5283.

Non-U.S. Citizens
By law, you must complete Form AR-11 to report any change in permanent address within 10 days.

Online: USCIS Online Change of Address (recommended)*
AND By mail: Download Form AR-11 and Instructions

Note penalty: Willful failure to give written notice to USCIS of a change of address within 10 days is a misdemeanor crime, and could also jeopardize the ability to obtain a future immigration benefit.

*The Ombudsman recommends reporting changes of address online. U.S. citizens will be brought directly to the page where they may update their address for any pending USCIS applications or petitions. Non-U.S. citizens will first be required to report changes of address by completing an electronic Form AR-11 (PDF, 1 page – 370 KB), and thereafter may separately update their address for pending cases.

Information Provided By: U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Contact Information